Why You Should Be Using Instagram to Market Your Business
If you’re looking to connect with your customers on social media, don’t make the mistake of not utilizing Instagram. More than 200 million businesses are on Instagram, and 90% of the top brands in the world have Instagram accounts.
With more than 2.35 billion monthly active users, Instagram is the third most-popular social media platform (behind Facebook and YouTube.) While Facebook still has the most users overall (about 2.95 billion worldwide), Instagram blows the social media competition away when it comes to engagement.
According to the 2023 Social Media Benchmark Report, engagement on Instagram is almost 8 times higher than on Facebook (Instagram's average engagement rate per post is 0.47%, compared to 0.06% on Facebook). That means Instagram gives you a much better chance of actually interacting with your audience, rather than just sending content out and receiving minimal response or engagement.
Instagram users are connecting with businesses on the platform more than ever—over 90% of accounts on Instagram follow a business. Looking to tap into Instagram’s marketing potential? Here’s how.
Tips for Using Instagram to Market Your Business
- Use multiple hashtags. Instagram lets you add up to 30 hashtags to a post caption, but a recent study found that posts with between 2 and 4 captions get the most engagement. To find good hashtags, type a keyword related to your post into the Instagram search box and see what Instagram suggests. You can also type in a hashtag to see how popular it is—under each hashtag in the search box, Instagram lists how many posts are using it.
- Go local. To build a connection with a local audience, include your location in your Instagram bio, post photos of local landmarks and scenery, and use location tags and location-based hashtags.
- Aim to post once a day. The average brand on Instagram posts five times per week, and engagement increases with the frequency of posts.
- Engage with followers. Don’t just post and forget—interact with your followers by answering questions and posting comments.
- Use video. Instagram Reels get 67% more engagement than standard Instagram posts.
- Have personality. Instagram posts that go viral almost always have an amazing caption. Maximize engagement by writing great captions for your posts. Be original, on-brand, and either funny or thoughtful.